07 July 2010

Okay, now it's real

I got a call early this afternoon, asking me to see a woman and let her know that her mother had died. You who have read this blog for a while know that death notifications are my specialty. Have tissue, will tell.

Except that I had been told that the sergeants are the ones who do the actual notification, then the chaplain is called in to deal with the aftermath. The notes in the files and on the bulletin board over my desk were very explicit, very clear.

Apparently no one told the sergeant, so I was the one to tell Kathie the bad news.

She howled when she found out, great wracking sobs, lots of tears. She had been trying to put some money together so she could go to California to help her mom. Nothing had worked. Then she got picked up on a warrant on Saturday and came to jail. She'd tried calling her family, but no one answered, or the phones were blocked and couldn't take a collect call. And then I came to her with this.

We prayed. And the men who met an hour later on another floor for a Communion Service prayed for her. So now I give her to you.

6 comments:

claire said...

Thank you, Shannon. I will keep Kathie in my heart and prayers.

Blessings on all those involved.

Sherry Peyton said...

I cannot imagine a more helpless feeling than to be locked up at such a time. My prayers go out to the poor woman and her mother, now in peace. May we find better ways of dealing with crime than this.

Teresa said...

My pleasure and now she can tell others about your loving spirit.

MikeF said...

Praying here, Shannon - and for you.

Daily Grace said...

Praying too...

Kedda said...

How frustrating and sad. My prayers for Kathie.