27 April 2013

I'm Thinking, I'm Thinking!






A month ago, at a jail chaplains meeting, a guest posed this question:

What of my culture do I have to give up in order to become a Christian?

I've been mulling it over ever since.

He made the point that we expect other people living in other cultures to give up what is regular and normal about their lives to more easily be identified with our own (American, Western) culture and so to be Christian.


Working at the jail, I spend time in a different culture. The language may be familiar and there are common references and experiences we share, but it's a very different culture. "How to be a Christian" changes when people come to jail.

And I'm wondering if my own life should look different than it does because I choose to be a follower of Jesus.

What do I have to give up?

I don't have an answer yet. But I'm thinking about it.

2 comments:

Tamara Swerline said...

How thought provoking! I, too, am thinking!

Sherry Peyton said...

an amazing question. One we all should contemplate. I too have no answer, but you have me thinking as well.